Tuesday 25 October 2011

Legume tally, first signs of allium growth

Eleven out of eighteen broad beans have produced seedlings so far, the biggest being about three inches tall now. Forty out of sixty peas have also emerged.

One of the onions had half an inch of green shoot when it was planted, and that one is about two inches tall now. Three other onions are showing a new green tip emerging or about to start. One of the garlics has risen up half out of the soil - I couldn't see any signs of animal digging around it, so I'm hoping it is being pushed upwards by its own root growth.

3 comments:

  1. What varieties of garlic are you growing? I have 3 favourites most people grow around here: Music, Hot Italian and Siberian (sometimes called just Russian).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The garlic variety is Avignon Wight. I don't know what they're like to eat, I got two bulbs from a seed company and planted all of the cloves. Perhaps I should have eaten one so that I know what they'll be like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps, but I'm sure all garlic varieties are delicious, especially in a marinara sauce! I look forward to hearing how these ones taste compared to the store bought ones (unless those, too, are Avignon Wights!).

    ReplyDelete