Saturday 7 January 2012

Give peas a chance

Mesh for pea plants
The peas have been bashed about by the very strong winds last week, and were looking a bit forlorn, so I've given them something to climb up. Next time I will put in the supporting mesh as soon as the peas are in the ground. The canes and mesh are re-used from my  last garden, and since those peas came down with powdery mildew I left the equipment to soak in a fungicide solution before setting it up, in the hope that any spores are killed and I don't introduce a harmful species to this garden.

One of the broad bean plants had its stem broken, so I cut that off to a few inches above ground level. Possibly the root system will have enough stored energy to grow new stems and leaves.

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Happy New Year. Hope all is well with you. I happened to see a link in my blogger stats that made no sense to me - I clicked on it and, lo, there you were. Marvellous.

    So greetings from all of us in Cambridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Andrew, Happy New Year to you too!

    Things are going well here, I feel settled into the area and as you can see I've been busy in the garden.

    I read and enjoyed that Robert Pogue Harrison book you recommended, and gave a copy to my dad for Christmas. Thanks for that suggestion.

    Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete