Friday 2 March 2012

On with the planting

The garden today
Marathon planting session this morning:
In paper pots:
  • 6x Pak Choi
  • 6x Purple Choy Sum
  • 6x Lamb's Lettuce Elan
  • 7x Lettuce Little Gem
  • 7x Rocket
  • 8x Chilli Peppers


Directly sown in beds:
  • 1 row of carrots - half Early Nantes, half Nepal F1 (bed 6)
  • 1 row of spring onions White Lisbon Winter Hardy (bed 8)
  • 1 row of radishes French Breakfast 3 (bed 8)
I'm planning to use bed six pretty much exclusively for carrots, because I like them, and they are a good productive crop in terms of space usage. I will plant another row every three to four weeks, so with luck I ought to have a continuous supply from June or so. I intend to do this with a lot of crops, sowing in small amounts every few weeks, so I don't have to deal with gluts, and I can be flexible as I find out what grows well and what I most like to eat.

I've been told that the root systems of the broad beans and peas may well survive and put new growth up, despite being apparently dead. I cut off all the above-ground parts, except where new growth is indeed appearing. If they survive, I'll have to find space for all the replacements currently germinating in the greenhouse. Several of each type of pea (Greenshaft and Early Onward) have germinated and shoots are starting to push above the soil. Oh well, can't have too many peas.

I also cut a couple of branches off an overhanging bush, and dug the green manure into bed two.

No comments:

Post a Comment