Friday 11 May 2012

Wigwam for runner beans

Wigwam for runner beans

Various salad plants
A couple of days ago I started some runner beans and some more French beans chitting indoors - this is just soaking them and leaving them on damp kitchen roll until they germinate. I will plant the six strongest looking runner beans in pots, then transfer them to the garden. I did a few more French beans because from eight planted in pots a few weeks ago, only three have grown. (I have space for only eight in the garden, but if I'd started 24, they'd no doubt all have sprouted.)

The runner beans will be grown up a wigwam, which I've also just constructed. The ground is quite soft there, so I've tethered it to the fence with wire.

Growth notes: Chives and parsnips have just become visible, and there are a few hollyhocks starting in the front garden. The hollyhocks I planted in the back garden have been swamped with goose grass, couch grass, and other vigorous ground plants, and I may have to cut those back and re-sow, but it isn't a high priority because I can't eat hollyhocks.

With all the recent rain the garden is looking lush, but the lack of sunlight seems to have slowed growth. Except of the goose grass, obviously, which is now forming dense thickets. Apparently it's edible when boiled, but it would have to taste particularly good for me to want to eat the amount I've got.

2 comments:

  1. In my classroom we used this chitting method to run an experiment on string bean seeds (salt water vs fresh water). After it was finished, a few students wanted to plant their seeds to see how they'd grow. They were confused that what ended up growing wasn't kidney beans - it seems this is the only type of bean they are familiar with (they're Indian).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That surprises me - I thought pretty much all cultures had a wide range of beans. Also, runner bean seeds look pretty different from kidney beans (which I would grow if I could.)

    ReplyDelete